1-23-2023 Varsity Girls Basketball Beat Crystal City
We knew traveling down to Crystal City was going to be a hostile environment and we were on a mission to make a statement. Crystal City has been ranked all year in TABC, so you could say we had a chip on our shoulder. On January 20, 2023, right from tipoff, the crowd was talking trash but the girls stayed focused and carried out the game plan. We knew they could not handle the pressure of our press, so we continued to full court press them the entire game. We had 27 steals and scored 48 points in the paint and made Crystal City turn the ball over 45 times. At the half, we were up by 14. At the half, we could see them tiring out, so we made the girls understand we needed our DEFENSE to step up these last two quarters. That is exactly what the girls did. We scored 30 points in the fourth quarter. When the buzzer went off, the scoreboard read 92-63 and the look on Crystal City's faces was priceless. One remark was Lytle is not that good. 92 points is the most points scored in a girls’ game in the last 10 years. These girls finished the first round 5-0 and have taken the first-place spot after completing the first round of play. We are 19-10 for the season.
Leading in stats for the Crystal City game:
- Calyssa Sevier led the game with a triple-double. This girl was on fire. She had 44 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 14 deflections and 11 steals, her first one of the year!
- Cadee Martinez had 24 points, 1 rebound, 4 assists, 4 deflections, 6 steals and 2 blocks.
- Fizz Hutton had 12 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 11 deflections, 6 steals and 2 charges.
- Katara Whitfield scored 8 points, 9 rebounds and 1 assist.
- Amelia Martinez contributed 4 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 deflections and 3 steals.
- Mac Sessom had 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 deflections and 1 steal.
These girls are starting to peak at the perfect time and I am excited to watch them grow this second round of District play. We will take on Natalia tomorrow night, January 24, 2023, here in Lytle, as we work to keep the Rivalry trophy here in Lytle another year. We have won for the last 6 years! Hope to see everyone tomorrow night. Go Pirates!