Return to Headlines
6-19-2022 Samantha Mujica Selected for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute’s (CHCI) R2L NextGen Program!
As we are enjoying summertime fun, I thought you might like to hear news that one of our High School students, Junior Samantha Mujica, will be spending a portion of her summer involved in rich and important learning. Thanks to a nomination and encouragement from Lytle College and Career Readiness Counselor, Abigail Parker, Samantha was selected for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute’s (CHCI) R2L NextGen Program! This young lady's application stood out among the over 200 applications nationwide. She was selected because of her commitment to leadership, interest in civic engagement, and desire to give back to her community. With 30 of her peers from across the United States, Samantha will enjoy an all-expense-paid, exciting, hands-on experience in Washington, D.C. for a week this July, 2022. She will explore the Nation’s Capital by walking the halls of Congress, visiting historic monuments, and meeting key Latino leaders who are making a difference in their community. CHCI has designed this program to help students maximize learning by using every moment of their training to help them grow into the leaders they are already becoming. R2L NextGen will be a challenging and rewarding week that Samantha will never forget.
The program includes peer-to-peer learning, making personal connections to historical sites in D.C., exploring the role of Latino leaders in making our nation successful, and interacting with key media, policy, and law experts from the Latino community. Students will travel around Washington, D.C., on motor coach buses and use the Metro subway system. Highlights from the program week will include:
- Visiting Capitol Hill to meet with Members of Congress or their staff to discuss current political issues.
- Exploring what it means to be an active and engaged Latino citizen and learning from individuals who have paved the way.
- Exploring the ideas and ideals of equality while visiting the Lincoln, Korea, Vietnam and WWII memorials.
- Participating in a mock Congress in which students draft, propose, and debate legislation on issues currently being debated in the United States House of Representatives.
- Examining the concept of Federalism, discussing the roles and responsibilities of local, state and federal governments, and debating the proper role of each.
- Discussing how policy decisions impact the Latino community and meeting the individuals who make these decisions every day
On behalf of all our Pirate Staff, we wish Samantha a safe and amazing trip to D.C. filled with valuable learning. I've attached a few photos of Samantha, and a link to an album that includes her being inducted into the Lytle High School National Honors Society, and with her brother and sister, who are our 2022 Salutatorian and Valedictorian. Pirate Pride!